DID YOU KNOW?
Dr. Dan Murphy, a well-respected teacher, writer and research oriented doctor, has compiled a list of research articles that may be of interest to some of you. This is Dr. Murphy's Corner. Enjoy!
Dr. Dan Murphy - Did You Know?
- Spinal stiffness was linked to visceral pathology with nearly 100% accuracy based upon sympathetic innervation. (Medical Times, 1921)
- 1,000 capsules of Tylenol in a lifetime doubles the risk of end stage renal disease. (New England Journal of Medicine, 1994)
- The average time for a whiplash-injured patient to achieve maximum improvement is 7 months 1 week. (Spine, 1994)
- 93% of patients with chronic whiplash pain who have failed medical and physical therapy care improve with chiropractic adjustments. (Injury, 1996)
- Taking the correct drug for the correct diagnoses in the correct dose will kill about 106,000 Americans per year, making it the 4th most common cause of death in the US. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 1998)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for rheumatoid and/or osteoarthritis conservatively cause 16,500 Americans to bleed to death each year, making that the 15th most common cause of death in the US. (New England Journal of Medicine, 1999)
- Glutamate and aspartame can cause chronic pain sensitization, and removing them from the diet for 4 consecutive months can eliminate all chronic pain symptoms. (Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 2002)
- Chiropractic spinal adjusting has been shown to be better than 5 times more effective than the NSAIDs pain drugs Celebrex and Vioxx in the treatment of chronic neck and low back pain. (Spine, 2003)
- In patients suffering from chronic pain subsequent to degenerative spinal disease, 59% can eliminate the need for pain drugs by consuming adequate levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids. (Surgical Neurology, 2006)
- Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to significantly lower blood pressure. (Journal of Human Hypertension, 2007)
- The estimated incidence of chronic pain from whiplash trauma is 15-40%. (Jour of the Am Academy of Ortho Surg, 2007)
- Meniere’s Disease has been linked to a disorder of the upper cervical spine facet joints. (International Tinnitus Jour, 2007)
- Supplementing with vitamin D3 has the potential to reduce cancer deaths in America by 75%. (Ann of Epidemiology, 2009)
- Potentially, the largest exposure of Americans to the neurotoxin mercury is through the consumption of products containing High Fructose Corn Syrup. (Environmental Health, 2009)
- Those who consumed the highest amounts of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain drugs increased their risk of dementia, including Alzheimer’s dementia, by 66%. (Neurology, 2009)
- The newest estimate for the incidence of autism is 1 in 91 US children. (Pediatrics, 2009)
These published facts and hundreds more are available through his Article Review Service, now in its 11th year. Reviews are detailed, thorough, timely and cutting-edge, with KEY POINTS summary and chiropractic practical applications. The Reviews are in PDF format for easy printing. They are excellent for educating the chiropractor, staff, patients and for lecture preparation.
Easy sign-up through the website with a credit card using PayPal. $100.00 per year. The Archives (past years) are also available.
Phyllis (925) 420-6564